Qatar hits out at October 7 probe accusing Doha of funding Hamas's invasion

Doha launches scathing attack on Shit Bet's probe, claims no aid has reached Hamas • 'Accusers are intent on prolonging the war'

 People wave the Palestinian flag during protests outside the Imam Muhammad Abdel-Wahhab Mosque in Doha, Qatar, October 20, 2023 (photo credit: KARIM JAAFAR/AFP via Getty Images)
People wave the Palestinian flag during protests outside the Imam Muhammad Abdel-Wahhab Mosque in Doha, Qatar, October 20, 2023
(photo credit: KARIM JAAFAR/AFP via Getty Images)

Qatar’s humanitarian aid didn’t reach the political or paramilitary arms of Hamas, it said on Wednesday in response to the Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) October 7 probe.

The report, which was released on Tuesday, painted Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s policy of enabling Doha’s funding of Hamas as a contributing factor to the terror group’s decision to launch an invasion on October 7, 2023.

No humanitarian aid was provided to Hamas’s political or military wings by Qatar, Doha’s International Media Office said.

“Claims that Qatari aid went to Hamas are entirely false and serve as evidence that the accusers are intent on prolonging the war,” it noted.

“All aid sent from Qatar to Gaza was transferred with the full knowledge, support, and supervision of the current and previous Israeli administrations and their security agencies – including the Shin Bet,” the Qatari office continued.

The media office said the Shin Bet and other Israeli security agencies should focus on saving the remaining hostages and finding a solution that ensures long-term regional security rather than resorting to “diversionary tactics such as scapegoating Qatar for political longevity.”

“Claims that Qatari aid went to Hamas are entirely false and serve as evidence that the accusers are intent on prolonging the war,” it said.

Israeli intelligence has said Qatar eventually developed two funding pipelines to Hamas. One was supervised by Israel and, at least officially, only went to Gaza’s civilian needs. However, another funding pipeline, especially in more recent years, circumvented Israeli oversight and went directly to the terror group.

Besides the second funding pipeline, intelligence analysts have pointed out that the funding that went to civilian Gazan needs made it easier for Hamas to spend more of its existing funds on the vast terror and military operations that the IDF was confronted with in Gaza during the war.

Shin Bet probe

Qatar’s statement also comes as the Shin Bet is investigating alleged ties between Doha and the Prime Minister’s Office. Jonatan Urich, a media adviser to Netanyahu, is the main suspect in the investigation, Channel 13 reported last week, citing an initial examination by the Israeli security establishment.


Stay updated with the latest news!

Subscribe to The Jerusalem Post Newsletter


The investigation reportedly concluded that Netanyahu aide Eli Feldstein was not a main suspect in the probe and that he was only a “subordinate” to Urich. As per Channel 13, all of Feldstein’s actions were under Urich’s direction.

Feldstein denies any direct or indirect ties with Qatar.

Yonah Jeremy Bob contributed to this report.