Live Updates

Israel kills Oct. 7 Nukhba terrorist, Smotrich threatens to quit government

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF
  IDF operates in the West Bank published January 16, 2024.  (photo credit: IDF SPOKESMAN’S UNIT)
IDF operates in the West Bank published January 16, 2024.
(photo credit: IDF SPOKESMAN’S UNIT)

10 IDF soldiers injured from explosion during weapons display on base in South

The injured soldiers were evacuated to a hospital for medical treatment. Their families have been notified, and the incident is currently under investigation.

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF
 IDF troops operate in the Gaza Strip. January 11, 2025. (photo credit: IDF SPOKESPERSON'S UNIT)
IDF troops operate in the Gaza Strip. January 11, 2025.
(photo credit: IDF SPOKESPERSON'S UNIT)

Three IDF soldiers were moderately injured, and seven others sustained light injuries on Wednesday night when a weapon exploded during a training exercise at the Engineering Corps Training Base in the Negev, the IDF announced on Thursday.

The injured soldiers were evacuated to a hospital for medical treatment. Their families have been notified, and the incident is currently under investigation.

Go to the full article >>
Show More
Show Less

Maritime sources expect Houthis to halt Red Sea attacks after Gaza deal

The experts pointed to an email, seen by Reuters, from the group postponing a planned security briefing that had been due to take place in the coming days as a possible signal.

By REUTERS
 Houthi-held Red Sea port of Hodeidah, Yemen, February 25, 2023.  (photo credit: REUTERS/KHALED ABDULLAH)
Houthi-held Red Sea port of Hodeidah, Yemen, February 25, 2023.
(photo credit: REUTERS/KHALED ABDULLAH)

Maritime security officials said on Thursday they were expecting Yemen's Houthis to announce a halt in attacks on ships in the Red Sea, after a ceasefire deal in the war in Gaza between Israel and the terrorist group Hamas.

The experts pointed to an email, seen by Reuters, from the group postponing a planned security briefing that had been due to take place in the coming days as a possible signal.

Go to the full article >>
Show More
Show Less

Israel kills Oct. 7 Nukhba terrorist in Gaza airstrikes, hits over 50 terror sites

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF
  (photo credit: Alexander Ermochenko/Reuters)
(photo credit: Alexander Ermochenko/Reuters)

The IDF and Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) killed a Nukhba terrorist who took part in the October 7 massacre, along with other Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) terrorists during airstrikes that took place in the Gaza Strip, the IDF announced on Thursday evening.

The IDF identified the Nukhba terrorist as Muhammad Al-Hisham Zahdi Abu al-Rous. It added that during the October 7 attacks, Rous infiltrated Israel and participated in the massacre at the Nova Music Festival.

Israel's military also added that in a separate joint operation, the IDF and Shin Bet carried out airstrikes in the past day, striking approximately 50 terror sites across the Gaza Strip.

Among the targets included in the strikes were Hamas and PIJ terrorists, military facilities, weapons storage sites, rocket launch positions, and observation posts, the military said. 

Go to the full article >>
Show More
Show Less

Hamas claims Israel struck Gaza target where female hostage was held - report

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF
 breaking news (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)
breaking news
(photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

Palestinian terrorist group Hamas claimed on Thursday that Israel struck a target in Gaza where one of the female hostages - who is expected to be released in the first phase of the deal - was located, spokesperson Abu Obeida announced on Telegram.

This is a developing story.



Go to the full article >>
Show More
Show Less

Syria's de facto leader says country ready to welcome UN forces in buffer zone with Israel

By REUTERS
 breaking news (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)
breaking news
(photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

Syria's de facto leader Ahmed al-Sharaa, Abu Mohammad al-Jolani, said on Thursday his country is ready to welcome UN forces into the UN-established buffer zone with Israel.

"Israel's advance in the region was due to the presence of Iranian militias and Hezbollah. After the liberation of Damascus, I believe that they have no presence at all. There are pretexts that Israel is using today to advance into the Syrian regions, into the buffer zone," he said, answering a Reuters question.

Go to the full article >>
Show More
Show Less

Police, Shin Bet arrest 16-year-old for planning ISIS-inspired explosive attacks

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF
 breaking news (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)
breaking news
(photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

In late December, Israel Police and the Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) arrested a 16-year-old resident of southern Israel on suspicion of committing offenses inspired by terrorist organizations, the police announced on Thursday afternoon.

The individual identified with ISIS planned to fight for ISIS abroad and considered establishing an ISIS cell in Israel to carry out attacks against Jews, according to the statement.

Shin Bet and police investigations also revealed that the individual had carried out plans to prepare explosive materials, and he was found with terror training materials.

Go to the full article >>
Show More
Show Less

Smotrich: If Israel doesn't return to Gaza after ceasefire, I will quit government

Even if Ben-Gvir and Smotrich oppose the deal, the agreement will still have a majority in government and is still likely to pass.

By ELIAV BREUER
 Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich seen over posters of Israeli hostages in Gaza (photo credit: FLASH90)
Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich seen over posters of Israeli hostages in Gaza
(photo credit: FLASH90)

“The deal that will be presented to the government is both bad and dangerous for Israel’s national security," Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich announced on Wednesday evening.

"Alongside the immense joy and excitement over the return of each kidnapped individual, this agreement undermines many of the achievements of the war, during which the heroes of this nation risked their lives. It may, God forbid, cost us dearly in blood. We strongly oppose it.

"We will not remain silent. The cries of our brothers’ blood call out to us. Our continued presence in the government depends on absolute certainty of resuming the war with full force—on a broad scale and with a renewed strategy—until we achieve a decisive victory, including the complete destruction of Hamas and the safe return of all hostages to their homes."

Go to the full article >>
Show More
Show Less

Until hostages are free 'there is nothing,' Aunt of released hostage Abigail Mor Edan tell Post

"Even when they're on the list, until you actually see that person free, there is nothing," Naftali said.

By HANNAH SARISOHN
 US president Joe Biden released four-year-old hostage Abigail Idan. April 25, 2024. (photo credit: Screenshot/Instagram via potus)
US president Joe Biden released four-year-old hostage Abigail Idan. April 25, 2024.
(photo credit: Screenshot/Instagram via potus)

Families of the American hostages felt a different momentum on Wednesday morning in what was likely their last call with members of the Biden administration, just a few hours before the ceasefire and hostage deal was officially announced, Liz Hirsh Naftali, great aunt of former hostage Abigail Mor Edan who turned four while in Hamas captivity, told The Jerusalem Post

The American families are all waiting and are just starting to understand what this deal means, Naftali said. 

"This is the one thing I've learned from being a hostage family and waiting for your loved one to come out: until you see them on the list, you're waiting," she said. "And even when they're on the list, until you actually see that person free, there is nothing."

Go to the full article >>
Show More
Show Less

IDF begins preparations to partially withdraw from Gaza - sources to 'Post'

Some sources confirmed that the early stages of such preparations are underway, while others have not denied them.

By YONAH JEREMY BOB
 Israeli soldiers operating in Beit Lahia, in the northern Gaza Strip, on November 28, 2024 (photo credit: Oren Cohen/Flash90)
Israeli soldiers operating in Beit Lahia, in the northern Gaza Strip, on November 28, 2024
(photo credit: Oren Cohen/Flash90)

The IDF has begun certain undefined withdrawal preparations in the Gaza Strip, The Jerusalem Post learned on Wednesday.

Some sources confirmed that the early stages of such preparations are underway, while others have not denied them.

Go to the full article >>
Show More
Show Less

Israel at war: What you need to know


  • Hamas launched a massive attack on October 7, with thousands of terrorists infiltrating from the Gaza border and taking some 240 hostages into Gaza.
  • Over 1,200 Israelis and foreign nationals were murdered, including over 350 at the Re'im music festival and hundreds of Israeli civilians across Gaza border communities.
  • 98 hostages remain in Gaza.
  • 49 hostages in total have been killed in captivity, IDF says.
  • The IDF launched a ground invasion of Lebanon on September 30.
  • The Israel-Lebanon ceasefire came into effect on November 27 at 4:00 a.m.