Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he regretted that it took such a long time to free Eli Sharabi, in a phone call in which he apologized for the extensive delay in securing his release.
Sharabi told Netanyahu that “the other hostages, certainly the living, urgently need to return home to their families” and he added that “the deceased hostages, including my brother Yossi, must be brought back for burial in Israel so their families can mourn over their graves.”
This is the objective, Netanyahu responded during the conversation on Sunday night.
“And I want you to know that we will not relent for a moment, even as I am speaking to you,” he said.
“I know that you are enduring difficult days,” Netanyahu said. “I understand the magnitude of the loss [of your family]... we fought hard to get you out.”
Sharabi, 53, was released from Hamas captivity last month, having been held by the terror organization for nearly 500 days.
Sharabi recounts Hamas captivity
In an interview with Channel 12, Sharabi recalled that he had been shackled at the feet for the entire duration of his imprisonment and survived by consuming pasta and pita, losing 30 kg. over the course of his confinement.
Upon his return, Sharabi learned that his wife, Leanne, and teenage daughters Noiya and Yahel, were murdered on October 7, along with his brother Yossi.
“I greatly appreciate the bravery with which you have spoken about what you endured, and it is very important that you also tell this to [US] President [Donald] Trump,” Netanyahu remarked. Sharabi is scheduled to meet with Trump later this week.
Netanyahu also informed Sharabi that he had unsuccessfully attempted to contact him over a week ago and that he would be “pleased” for them to meet “when it is possible.
“We embrace you with all our hearts,” Netanyahu added.