Live Updates

IDF says ceasefire violated, IAF fires at Hezbollah terrorists

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF
 IDF operating in southern Lebanon November 14, 2024  (photo credit: IDF SPOKESMAN’S UNIT)
IDF operating in southern Lebanon November 14, 2024
(photo credit: IDF SPOKESMAN’S UNIT)

IDF says ceasefire violated, opens fire on suspects moving towards southern Lebanon

In their statement, the military said it is deployed in southern Lebanon and enforcing all violations of the ceasefire agreement. 

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF
 People drive past rubble of destroyed buildings which was previously a market area, in the southern Lebanese town of Nabatieh, on the second day of the ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah, Lebanon November 28, 2024.  (photo credit: Adnan Abidi/Reuters)
People drive past rubble of destroyed buildings which was previously a market area, in the southern Lebanese town of Nabatieh, on the second day of the ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah, Lebanon November 28, 2024.
(photo credit: Adnan Abidi/Reuters)

Several suspects, some in vehicles, arrived in towns and villages in southern Lebanon on Thursday morning, constituting a breach of the ceasefire that came into effect early on Wednesday, the military said on Thursday. 

As a result, the IDF opened fire on the suspects. 

In its statement, the military said it is deployed in southern Lebanon and enforcing all violations of the ceasefire agreement. 

Go to the full article >>
Show More
Show Less

'Colossal failure': Northern Moshav head slams Lebanon ceasefire, Netanyahu, for lack of security

Head of Moshav Margaliot Eitan Davidi criticized the Lebanon ceasefire, calling it a “scandalous agreement” that endangers northern Israel’s residents.

By 103FM
 View of a fire that started from missiles launched from Lebanon to Metula, northern Israel, June 18, 2024 (photo credit: AYAL MARGOLIN/FLASH90)
View of a fire that started from missiles launched from Lebanon to Metula, northern Israel, June 18, 2024
(photo credit: AYAL MARGOLIN/FLASH90)

Eitan Davidi, the head of Moshav Margaliot in northern Israel, expressed strong criticism of the ceasefire with Hezbollah, warning that Israel was not adequately protecting the residents of the North against future threats, during a Thursday interview with Nissim Mishal and Natalie Shem Tov on Radio 103FM.

“This is a scandalous agreement,” Davidi said. “We never imagined we’d see the day when we’d have to sign such an agreement and return home under these conditions."

"For years, we watched Hezbollah observing us, aiming their weapons at us. We thought we were heading into war. I consistently said that we would give the government all the time it needed to resolve the situation in the South, secure the release of the hostages, and bring us back home safely.”

Go to the full article >>
Show More
Show Less

Bezeq sends teams to repair communications infrastructure in northern communities

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF
 breaking news (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)
breaking news
(photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

Following the ceasefire in Lebanon taking effect on Wednesday, dozens of technicians and infrastructure teams from the Bezeq telecommunications company entered northern communities in previously restricted areas on Thursday to rehabilitate communications infrastructure damaged in recent weeks, Bezeq announced in a statement. 

Teams are reportedly assessing damage to the area, prioritizing residential areas, public institutions, and other critical facilities. 

Bezeq also announced that it is preparing to reopen its service center in Kiryat Shmona and resume operations in the coming days in coordination with security forces and local authorities. 

Go to the full article >>
Show More
Show Less

Damage control: Four Phases of Hezbollah’s recovery post-ceasefire - analysis

Hezbollah would most probably focus on damage control and rebuilding its capabilities in Lebanon.

By AMIR BOHBOT
 A banner that reads 'Made in USA' hangs on a damaged building, on the second day of the ceasefire between Israel and Iran-backed group Hezbollah, in the Chiyah district of Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon November 28, 2024. (photo credit: REUTERS/MOHAMED AZAKIR)
A banner that reads 'Made in USA' hangs on a damaged building, on the second day of the ceasefire between Israel and Iran-backed group Hezbollah, in the Chiyah district of Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon November 28, 2024.
(photo credit: REUTERS/MOHAMED AZAKIR)

After over a year of fighting against Israel, with almost two full months of IDF ground operations in southern Lebanon targeting Hezbollah terrorist infrastructure embedded within civilian residential areas, the Iran-backed Lebanese terror organization is unlikely to challenge Israel soon.

Instead, Hezbollah would most probably focus on damage control and rebuilding its capabilities in Lebanon, according to Israeli security assessments.

Go to the full article >>
Show More
Show Less

Lebanon's parliament speaker sets Jan.9 date to elect president, NNA reports

By REUTERS
 breaking news (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)
breaking news
(photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

Lebanon's parliament speaker Nabih Berri set a Jan. 9 date for the house to elect the country's president, the state news agency (NNA) reported on Thursday.

Go to the full article >>
Show More
Show Less

Reported Israeli drone strike in southern Lebanon wounds three

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF
 breaking news (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)
breaking news
(photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

Three were reportedly wounded in an Israeli drone strike in the village of Markaba in southern Lebanon on Thursday, just a day after the ceasefire in Lebanon came into effect, Israeli media reported, citing Lebanese reports. 

Go to the full article >>
Show More
Show Less

Lebanese FM: All Lebanese 'components' including Hezbollah accept ceasefire 'in its entirety'

"Everyone is committed to implementing it from all Lebanese components," Lebanese Foreign Minister Abdallah Rashid Bou Habib said.

By SAM HALPERN
 Illustrative image of Lebanese Foreign Minister Abdallah Rashid Bou Habib (photo credit: Canva, REUTERS/DADO RUVIC/ILLUSTRATION, REUTERS/GUGLIELMO MANGIAPANE)
Illustrative image of Lebanese Foreign Minister Abdallah Rashid Bou Habib
(photo credit: Canva, REUTERS/DADO RUVIC/ILLUSTRATION, REUTERS/GUGLIELMO MANGIAPANE)

Lebanese Foreign Minister Abdallah Rashid Bou Habib said that all of the “Lebanese components,” including Hezbollah, were committed to implementing the ceasefire in Lebanon in a Wednesday interview with Qatari state-funded news outlet Al Jazeera.

"If Israel begins to violate the resolution, this means that it is not implementing it," Bou Habib told Al Jazeera, adding that "everyone is committed to implementing it from all Lebanese components".

In the wake of the ceasefire, which went into effect at 4:00 a.m. local time on Wednesday, the Lebanese foreign minister told the Qatari media giant that Lebanon was committed to implementing United Nations Security Council Resolution 1701 “to the letter.”

Go to the full article >>
Show More
Show Less

Iranian-backed militias in Iraq to continue attacks on Israel despite Lebanon ceasefire - report

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF
 breaking news (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)
breaking news
(photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

Iranian-backed militias in Iraq have stated that they would continue their attacks against Israel despite the ceasefire in Lebanon, sources told Hezbollah-affiliated newspaper Al-Akhbar on Thursday. 

Sources from within the Islamic Resistance in Iraq confirmed that they did not have any connection to the ceasefire and that they would continue to attack Israel with drones, according to Al-Akhbar

Go to the full article >>
Show More
Show Less

Egyptian delegation expected to arrive in Israel Thursday for hostage deal talks - report

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF
  (photo credit: GILI YAARI /FLASH90)
(photo credit: GILI YAARI /FLASH90)

An Egyptian delegation is expected to arrive in Israel on Thursday in order to share a "comprehensive vision" by Cairo to reach a hostage and ceasefire deal in Gaza, Hezbollah-affiliated Lebanese news outlet Al-Akhbar reported on Thursday. 

Go to the full article >>
Show More
Show Less

'Let's get the hostages out': Biden urges Netanyahu to reach Gaza deal after Lebanon truce - report

Biden's conversation with Netanyahu took place shortly after Israel's security cabinet approved the Lebanon ceasefire agreement.

By WALLA!
 US President Joe Biden (R) and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (L) seen at the forefront of a wall of hostage posters seen in the background (illustrative) (photo credit: Canva, Craig Hudson/Reuters, REUTERS)
US President Joe Biden (R) and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (L) seen at the forefront of a wall of hostage posters seen in the background (illustrative)
(photo credit: Canva, Craig Hudson/Reuters, REUTERS)

US President Joe Biden, while speaking to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during their Tuesday phone call, reportedly told the latter that the time was right for a hostage deal.

"We have an opportunity now - let's get the hostages out," Biden reportedly said.

Biden's conversation with Netanyahu took place shortly after Israel's security cabinet approved the Lebanon ceasefire agreement, two senior American officials confirmed on Thursday. 

Go to the full article >>
Show More
Show Less
1
2
3

Israel at war: What you need to know

  • Hamas launched a massive attack on October 7, with thousands of terrorists infiltrating from the Gaza border and taking some 240 hostages into Gaza.
  • Over 1,200 Israelis and foreign nationals were murdered, including over 350 at the Re'im music festival and hundreds of Israeli civilians across Gaza border communities
  • 101 hostages remain in Gaza
  • 48 hostages in total have been killed in captivity, IDF says
  • The IDF launched a ground invasion of Lebanon on September 30
  • The Israel-Lebanon ceasefire went into effect on November 27 at 4:00 a.m.