Netanyahu denies trip to Cairo for hostage talks as deal edges closer
Houthi missile activates sirens in northern Israel • Israel likely to respond to Houthi attack
Gaza hostage deal can be reached within a month, sources tell 'Post'
Hamas fears one possible outcome in particular - that Trump may allow Netanyahu to automatically resume military operations in Gaza.
“There is significant progress, a hostage deal can be reached even in less than a month,” two officials with knowledge of hostage deal negotiations told The Jerusalem Post on Tuesday evening.
ure these guarantees.
Go to the full article >>The wild highs and lows of hostage deal talks - and what's left to nail down - analysis
In short, a deal is likely imminent for the first time since July, but until Hamas has actually handed over the hostages, everyone will need to continue to hold their breath.
Despite a steady stream of fake news reports that a hostage deal was imminent between August and December, top sources continued to tell the Jerusalem Post that the gaps were too large and no deal was imminent. Until recently.
Go to the full article >>IDF announces death of soldier in Rafah building collapse
During the incident in which Maj. Rozenwald fell, an additional soldier was killed.
Maj. (res.) Moshiko Maxim Rozenwald, 35, from Modi'in, serving in the engineering battalion within the Nahal Brigade, was killed in Rafah in deep southern Gaza, the IDF announced on Tuesday.
During the incident in which Maj. Rozenwald fell, an additional soldier whose family has been notified fell. His name has not yet been cleared for publication and will be published later.
Go to the full article >>Hamas calls for 'mobilization' to repel PA security forces amid West Bank ops.
"We emphasize that the continuation of the PA's security operation indicates that it is turning a deaf ear to all Palestinian voices," the terror group claimed.
Hamas called on "all movements, factions, tribal gatherings, and human rights organizations to mobilize massively" to repel the ongoing operation carried out by Palestinian Authority security forces in the West Bank city of Jenin in an official statement on Tuesday.
"We emphasize that the continuation of the PA's security operation indicates that it is turning a deaf ear to all Palestinian voices calling for its cessation and for the protection of the resistance," the terror group's statement read, adding that the PA operation "serves only the occupation army and its futile dreams of ending the resistance in the West Bank."
The large-scale Jenin operation began earlier in December after Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad terrorists stole vehicles belonging to the Palestinian Authority.
Go to the full article >>'Israel will maintain security control over Gaza,' Defense Minister Katz clarifies
Katz's statement comes following an N12 report which claims Katz told a US official that Israel was not interested in controlling Gaza after the war.
Defense Minister Israel Katz clarified his position regarding Israel's involvement in the Gaza Strip following the war in a Tuesday post on X/Twitter.
"In response to various reports - my position regarding Gaza is clear. After we defeat Hamas's military and governing power in Gaza, Israel will maintain security control over Gaza with full freedom of action," Katz noted, affirming this would be in a manner similar to the West Bank.
בתגובה לפרסומים שונים - עמדתי לגבי עזה ברורה. לאחר שנכריע את כוחו הצבאי והשלטוני של החמאס בעזה, ישראל תשלוט בטחונית בעזה עם חופש פעולה מלא, בדיוק כמו ביהודה ושומרון. לא נאפשר שום התארגנות טרור נגד יישובים ישראלים ואזרחי ישראל מעזה. לא נאפשר חזרה למציאות של לפני ה-7 לאוקטובר.
— ישראל כ”ץ Israel Katz (@Israel_katz) December 17, 2024
Go to the full article >>
Houthis fire ballistic missile at Tel Aviv, fragments crash into Jerusalem apartment
The IDF added that the missile did not cross into Israeli territory, however, alerts sounded due to concerns over falling interception debris.
The IAF's 'Arrow' air defense system intercepted a missile that was launched from the Houthis in Yemen on Monday, which activated sirens in Tel Aviv, and surrounding areas, the military announced.
Go to the full article >>Netanyahu meets with Trump's envoy for hostage affairs
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu met with Adam Buehler, US President-elect Donald Trump's designated envoy for hostage affairs, on Monday evening, the Prime Minister's Office announced.
Syrian rebel leader slams Israel's expansion of buffer zone
HTS leader Ahmed Al-Shara slammed Israel for its expansion into Syrian territory, which the rebel leader claimed is a violation of the 1974 agreement, in an interview with journalists, the New York Times reported on Monday.
Go to the full article >>Israel is likely to finally respond to Yemen's Houthis, 'Post' has learned
The Jerusalem Post learned that Israel has lost patience with the Houthis and may be ready to act.
Israel is likely to finally respond to Yemen’s Houthis in the coming weeks, The Jerusalem Post learned on Monday following yet another ballistic missile attack by the Iranian proxy.
Go to the full article >>Security cabinet kept in the dark on hostage deal negotiations
The proposed deal reportedly includes the release of women, ailing individuals, and hostages aged over 50.
Security cabinet ministers are being kept in the dark about details of a potential Gaza hostage deal, sources told The Jerusalem Post on Sunday.
Go to the full article >>What you need to know
- Hamas launched a massive attack on October 7, with thousands of terrorists infiltrating from the Gaza border and taking some 240 hostages into Gaza.
- Over 1,200 Israelis and foreign nationals were murdered, including over 350 at the Re'im music festival and hundreds of Israeli civilians across Gaza border communities
- 100 hostages remain in Gaza
- 49 hostages in total have been killed in captivity, IDF says
- The IDF launched a ground invasion of Lebanon on September 30
- The Israel-Lebanon ceasefire came into effect on November 27 at 4:00 a.m.