Qatar denies claims by Israeli investigators that it paid to boost its image, undermine Egypt's

Qatar said, "These allegations are baseless and serve only the agendas of those who seek to sabotage the mediation efforts and undermine relations between nations."

 L to R: Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi,Emir of Qatar Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani against backdrop of Qatar (illustration). (photo credit: Canva, REUTERS)
L to R: Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi,Emir of Qatar Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani against backdrop of Qatar (illustration).
(photo credit: Canva, REUTERS)

Qatar denied and condemned on Thursday evening the main emerging claims by Israeli investigators that it paid to have its image boosted and Egypt's belittled as one of the main mediators in the Gaza hostage and ceasefire deal

A court decision on Tuesday detailed the crux of the allegations: Qatari officials, through an intermediary in the form of American businessman Jay Footlik, contacted senior figures close to the prime minister to echo to Israeli journalists Qatar's positive role as a mediator.

Two of the main suspects, Eli Feldstein, a former spokesperson, and Jonathan Einhorn, a former aide to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, were interrogated this week on their role in the affair. Their accounts to police were not identical.

Qatar said, "These allegations are baseless and serve only the agendas of those who seek to sabotage the mediation efforts and undermine relations between nations. They also represent a new development in the ongoing misinformation campaign that is attempting to divert attention away from the humanitarian suffering and perpetuate the politicization of the war."

It added a warning "against these individuals becoming embroiled in matters that serve no purpose other than to derail mediation efforts and exacerbate the suffering of the Palestinian people."

 (L to R): Eli Feldstein and Yonatan Urich (illustration). (credit: Yehoshua Yosef/Flash90/Avshalom Sassoni/Flash90/Yonathan Sindel/Flash90)
(L to R): Eli Feldstein and Yonatan Urich (illustration). (credit: Yehoshua Yosef/Flash90/Avshalom Sassoni/Flash90/Yonathan Sindel/Flash90)

Alongside the Americans, until recently, Qatar and Egypt were the chief states with direct contact to Hamas and were - and remain - pivotal communicators to the terrorist group.

Qatar condemns Egypt's role in this matter

Qatar added in its statement that it "commends Egypt’s pivotal role in this critical matter, as both sides engage in daily cooperation and coordination to ensure the success of joint mediation efforts aimed at achieving regional stability."

Fifty-nine hostages remain in Hamas captivity to date. On Thursday evening, the parents of hostage Matan Angrest approved the publication of footage of the moments he was taken hostage by Hamas members on October 7.

Angrest served in the Armored Corps, and can be seen pulled out of his tank by his arms by a mob of men.

Jerusalem Post Editor-in-Chief Zvika Klein was questioned by police this week for his alleged connection to Qatargate, surrounding a visit Klein made to the Gulf state last year, which included articles on it published in the Post.


Stay updated with the latest news!

Subscribe to The Jerusalem Post Newsletter


According to reports, the visit was overseen by Urich, and included contact with Feldstein to coordinate media interviews on the visit after he returned.